Wednesday, January 7, 2015

SOL - All In Black

Have you ever been standing in the dark with 3 other people just behind the curtain in a theater? Well that's where I am now. I’m standing there knowing I have to be silent and remain unseen while the last scene plays out in front of me. After we take our bows, Alisondra and Teddy have to put the cans over the floor mics, but for now we have another use for them. I hold it up to my mouth and whisper, the can amplifying my voice just loud enough for the others to hear. As we try to stifle our laughter I pass the can to the next person, who does the same. We stand there and giggle, hoping the audience can’t hear our laughter.
Finally, the lights go out and the actors come backstage, making the small area even more cramped. We whisper and shift, trying to fit everyone in the right order, actors first, then stagecraft. When the lights come back up, the first wave of young actors spill out onto the stage, and we shift again to accommodate for the new space. When it’s my turn, I walk out onto the stage and meet the rest of my group in the center. We bow, and move off to the sides to make room for the next group. By the time everyone is out onstage it is so crowded we are almost standing on the carpet. When we take our group bow, it hits me. This was the first performance I've helped with at Logan. That was my theater dream since Primary. And I’m here, getting praised by my friends and family, finally living that dream. Dressed all in black, I decide I’m happy.

9 comments:

  1. It's a beautifully written piece, so full of feeling, & your ending is just perfect. You've put the reader right there, Selah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe is been about a year since that happened. Today (January 8th) is opening night this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on this blog, I really like the description and also, nice background on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is incredible. You had a great introduction and conclusion, descriptive language, and and interesting subject matter. I also liked how you really let us into your thoughts during that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really good! It is a perfect length and describes doing stagecraft really well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great introduction sentence. I loved the section of the show that you chose to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome description and I love the background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that you did a really good job saying what you wanted to say and making me feel like i was there. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!